Tempeh Sauté with Cashews and Broccoli
Tempeh is a fermented soy-based protein which originated from the Indonesian island of Java. Its nutty flavour and high plant-based protein content make it an excellent meat substitute. Try it in your sautés!
- 1 head broccoli
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp mirin (or rice vinegar)
- ½ tbsp sambal oelek
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 package (240 g) tempeh
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 green onions
- 2 tsp fresh ginger
- Some vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup PRANA organic non-roasted cashews
- 2 tbsp PRANA organic sesame seeds
- 1 handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Cut the broccoli into flowerets and steam to cook. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the olive oil, tamari, mirin, sambal oelek and maple syrup. Set aside.
- Cut the tempeh into small cubes, finely chop the garlic, slice the green onions and grate the ginger. Set aside.
- Heat a bit of vegetable oil in a wok and sauté the garlic, ginger and green onions for a few minutes.
- Add the tempeh cubes and sauce, and let it caramelize over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the cashews and the broccoli, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with sides of rice and green vegetable. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro.