5-ingredient granola bar
When it comes to eating healthy, one of the best strategies may very well be to know the ingredients that go into what you eat. The best way of keeping track of this is by making food at home, using high-quality ingredients. Of course, when you're busy with school or work, it isn't always easy to find time to spend in the kitchen. One fun solution is to set aside some time once weekly to prepare dishes with friends or family that you can then share. Everyone brings a few ingredients of their choice, whatever they already have at home, and spends the afternoon whipping up something delightful that can be shared immediately afterward. It's fun, social, cost-effective and satisfying to prepare great food at home. This granola bar recipe is an excellent place to start. It's simple and easy, and is made with just a few ingredients - soft Medjool dates, creamy nut butter, oats and super-healthy nuts. Try making them into fun shapes using cookie cutters. Make round ones and decorate them with chocolate chunks and coconut strips to make a happy face for the kids!
- 1 cup PRANA organic Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup PRANA organic blanched almond butter
- 1/4 cup oats (or gluten-free oats, as per your preference)
- 1 cup mixed raw nuts and seeds (almonds, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup extra toppings, as desired (chocolate chunks, dried fruit, coconut)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Roast the nuts and the oats in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Put the dates in the bowl of your food processor. Mix for several seconds to break them down into a paste. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the nut butter if it is a bit hard. If already soft, you can skip this step.
- In the food processor, coarsely chop the nuts then add the oats, date paste and nut butter.
- Put in a large bowl and add other ingredients as desired (chocolate chunks, dried fruit, coconut, etc.) and mix well.
- On the same baking sheet covered with parchment paper, spread the granola bar mix into an even layer (about 1 1/2 cm thick).
- Put the baking sheet in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Remove from freezer and cut into the desired shape.
- Store in the fridge or freezer in a tightly sealed container.