Autumn Squash Salad with Tomato Chia Dressing
Add some colour to your lunch with this fragrant fall salad! The tangy sweetness of the marinated dates on a bed of tomatoes, green lentils and squash, drizzled with a quick and light tomato and chia seed dressing, makes this salad absolutely divine! This recipe was created by Marigil Pelletier of the blog Chantez la Pomme.
- 1 cup PRANA organic pitted Deglett dates
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ acorn squash
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch PRANA unrefined Algarve sea salt
- Pinch PRANA organic fair trade whole black pepper, ground
- ½ cup green lentils
- 3 large ripe tomatoes
- ½ small red onion
- 1 ½ cup fresh parsley leaves, whole
- ⅓ cup PRANA organic raw European pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp PRANA organic whole black Proactivchia seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- PRANA unrefined Algarve sea salt, to taste
- PRANA organic fair trade whole black pepper, ground, to taste
For the salad
- Rehydrate Deglett dates by soaking them in ½ cup of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of hot water for 6 hours to overnight. After soaking, drain, rinse and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the acorn squash in half, remove the seeds, peel and cut into wedges about 2 cm wide. Place on prepared baking sheet, drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Place in preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, turning halfway through, until cooked and golden. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the lentils in a small pot. Spices may be added to the cooking water if desired (bay leaf, thyme, garlic, small onion), season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- During this time, dry roast the pumpkin seeds by placing them on a baking sheet and baking them in the preheated oven for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Cut the tomatoes into 2 cm cubes, thinly slice the red onion and chop the dates. Place in a salad bowl.
- Add 1 cup of the cooked lentils, the grilled squash, the pumpkin seeds and the parsley.
- Stir in the dressing and serve.
For the dressing
- Place all ingredients except the basil in a blender. *To preserve the texture of the tomato, blend very briefly.
- Finely chop the basil. Add to the dressing after blending.