Avocado Toast with Smoked Tempeh & a Quick Cashew Sauce
What's great about cashews is that they work just as well with salty flavours as they do with sweet ones. They can be transformed into milk, rich cream, yogurt, vegan cheese and even cheesecake filling! Indispensable in the pantry, cashews are packed with vitamins and minerals, and are extremely rich in magnesium, which has a natural anti-stress effect. They work especially well in this dish, as part of a delicious tangy cilantro and lime sauce that goes wonderfully with avocado and smoked tempeh. Convinced yet?
For the toasts
- 120 g tempeh
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil for frying, if needed
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 slices bread
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
For the sauce
- One cup of fresh cilantro (stems removed)
- 1/2 cup of almond milk (or water)
- 1/2 cup of PRANA organic non-roasted cashews
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- For the marinade, mix the soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil, smoked paprika and minced garlic. Transfer to a large dish.
- Cut the tempeh into thin slices (about 1/2 cm thick) and marinate in the sauce between 20 minutes and 1 hour.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan and brown the tempeh (about 3-4 minutes on each side).
- Add the remaining marinade to the pan and let it caramelize and get absorbed into the tempeh, about 1 minute. The tempeh can also be baked on a baking sheet at 350°F (180°C) for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and mix at high speed until sauce is smooth and creamy. Season to taste and set aside in the fridge until serving.
- In a bowl, mash the avocados with a fork. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- To serve, spread the avocado mixture on a slice of bread or toast add a few strips of tempeh and pour some sauce on top. Garnish with fresh cilantro.