Banana French Toast with Homemade Caramel
This recipe isn't exactly traditional, but it has the spirit of French toast. The ingredients list is simple: plant-based milk, chia seeds, vanilla and maple syrup. The trick is to let the mixture sit for a few minutes so the chia can work its magic. We've added a mashed banana for extra flavour (it is optional - you can leave it out if you prefer). Make this recipe with just about any bread. However, we suggest a seed-hardy one for the texture and nutrients. Top this dish with our homemade caramel and you'll have yourself a breakfast fit for the holidays!
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp PRANA organic ground chia seeds
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 tsp ground vanilla
- 6 to 8 slices bread
- 1 tbsp PRANA organic coconut oil
- 1/2 cup PRANA organic raw pecans
- Some extra slices of banana
- Caramel sauce
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the milk, chia, banana and vanilla.
- Soak each slice of bread in the mixture, flipping it over so it is completely coated.
- In a non-stick pan, heat the coconut oil. Cook each slice of bread until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with chopped pecans, banana slices and homemade caramel sauce.