Black bean burger with sweet potatoes
If you're looking for a veggie burger that's nutritious, a great source of protein and easy to prepare, look no further. Don't be intimidated by the multiple steps in this recipe, because you'll miss out on a delicious black bean burger, that gets a boost in both the flavour and texture departments from beans, sweet potatoes and seeds. These burgers can be prepared ahead and frozen, making them an excellent choice for a quick and tasty weeknight meal. A delicious burger is always something everyone can agree on!
- 1 tbsp PRANA organic ground chia seeds
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup PRANA organic shelled sunflower seeds
- 1 cup PRANA organic raw walnuts
- 1 tsp Cajun spices
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cup sweet potato, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil, for cooking
- Burger buns
- Boston lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix the chia with 3 tbsp water. Let sit to absorb until it forms a gel.
- In the bowl of a food processor, place the oats, beans, garlic, sunflower seeds, walnuts, spices, nutritional yeast, olive oil, mustard, soy sauce, salt, pepper and chia gel.
- Pulse until well mixed and slightly sticky, but still textured to preserve the crunch from the nuts and seeds.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl. Add the onion, cilantro and sweet potato to the bean mixture. Stir to combine.
- Using your hands, shape mixture into patties. Rinse your hands with water in between each patty to keep the mix from sticking to them.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the patties for a few minutes each side, until browned.
- Transfer the patties to the prepared baking sheet place in preheated oven for 15 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking time.
- Garnish with your favourite toppings!