Chickpea, Pumpkin and Chocolate Chip Cookies
Looking for a sweet surprise? Try recipes for baked goods that use chickpeas - not only will they satisfy your sweet tooth, they're filled with protein, so they'll keep you full 'til it's time for your next meal. Pumpkin purée marries beautifully with the warm, comforting flavours of cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger. Between the chickpeas and pumpkin, these cookies are an excellent source of fibre, iron and protein, as well as a good amount of calcium and vitamin C.
- ½ cup pumpkin purée or puréed squash, of your choice (made from 6 large pumpkin or squash cubes)
- ⅓ cup PRANA organic raw European almonds
- 1 cup cooked, drained and rinsed chickpeas
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups spelt flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp organic fair trade ground Ceylon true cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- ¾ cup PRANA organic chocolate chunks, 70% cacao
- Boil the pumpkin or squash cubes in water about 15 to 20 minutes, until you can easily mash them with a fork, making ½ cup of purée.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (150°C).
- Ground almonds in the food processor to a fine powder. Add pumpkin or squash cubes, chickpeas, maple syrup, almond milk and vanilla. Mix and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine spelt flour, spices, baking powder and salt. Pour dry ingredients in wet ones, mixing well. Add chocolate chunks.
- Drop the cookie dough by the spoonful onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 in (5 cm) apart. Bake 25 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet and let cool on a rack.