Eggplant curry with chickpeas and dried figs
This dish is the definition of comfort food. Once you've tried it, you'll be making it as often as you possibly can! Juicy, soft and tender, our figs are full of fiber and nutrients. They make a great snack on the go, as well as an excellent addition to muffins, cookies and even smoothies! They're just as delicious in savoury dishes like tagines, couscous, or in a curry, where they'll melt right into the sauce.
- 1 medium sweet potato (or squash of your choice), peeled and cubed
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- 5 PRANA organic figs (or PRANA organic pitted apricots), thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup chickpeas, cooked, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups tomatoes (fresh or canned), diced
- 1 3/4 cup (400 ml can) coconut milk
- 1 kefir leaf
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the garlic, onion, ginger and spices. Brown for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the eggplant, sweet potato, chickpeas and dried fruit, and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Stir well.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, kefir leaf and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the fresh spinach and mix. Cook for 1 minute and remove from heat. Season to taste.
- Serve over brown rice or quinoa and garnish with fresh cilantro.