Maple-spice roasted squash with Brussels sprouts, pecans and cranberries
This is the perfect plate for a gourmet centerpiece at your next holiday dinner. It's pretty as a picture, with shades of red, orange and green, adding a festive touch. At PRANA, we love simple, tasty recipes to share with family and friends. This dish is proof that even veggie-centric recipes can delicious, nutritious, fun and filling. When we're around the table, we're not just eating, we're sharing quality time, teaching and learning from one another.
- 1 acorn squash (approximately 580 g)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp organic fair trade ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- sea salt and ground pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 8 Brussels sprouts
- 1/3 cup PRANA organic raw pecans
- 3 tbsp PRANA organic cranberries, sweetened with apple juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the squash in half, remove the seeds, and cut each half into slices.
- In a large bowl, toss the slices of squash with the oil and maple syrup, then add the spices. Season generously with salt and pepper. Mix well with your hands, making sure the squash is well-coated. Spread the slices on the prepared baking sheet and place in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pluck the leaves from the Brussels sprouts.
- In a small frying pan, roast the pecans for a few minutes. Set aside in a small bowl.
- In the same pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil, add the Brussel sprout leaves, season with salt and pepper, and brown for several minutes. Once browned, add the cranberries and roasted pecans, and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Once the squash is cooked and golden brown, place on a serving platter, sprinkle with the Brussels sprouts mixture and garnish with green onions.