Marinated tofu and grilled veggie skewers
Looking for a dish to grill tonight? Just because you're vegan doesn't mean you can't contribute the most delicious dish the next time you're invited to a friend's BBQ. You don't need to be a carnivore to crave the aromas and taste of perfectly grilled food. Almost everything is better on the grill... veggies, tofu, even pizza! Even if you've been eating it all winter, you'll want to try this amazing tofu, marinated to soak up a savoury sauce and grilled to perfection. The trick to flavouring tofu is to choose it firm or extra-firm, and to press as much water as possible out of it before marinating. If you have time, prepare it the evening before a BBQ and leave to marinate overnight to get the maximum flavour. All you need to do the next day is to add the vegetables of your choice (peppers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes and onion are all great) and grill away!
- 1 block firm or extra-firm tofu
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion
- 2 zucchini
- 1 dozen cherry tomatoes
- 1 yellow pepper
- Cut tofu into cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Add tofu cubes to marinade and leave to rest at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Cut red onion in large chunks, zucchini into rounds, and yellow pepper into large pieces.
- Prepare skewers, alternating cubes of marinated tofu with vegetables.
- Put skewers on the BBQ. (If using oven, preheat to 205°C/400°F and arrange skewers on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.)
- Cook skewers 10 minutes on each side, basting with leftover marinade as needed.