Middle Eastern Inspired Quinoa and Roasted Veggie Salad
A balanced meal of protein-rich quinoa, pumpkin seeds and seasonal vegetables. The perfect packed lunch!
- 1 cup PRANA organic white quinoa
- 1 small red onion
- 8 carrots
- 2 summer squash (zucchini)
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped
- 1 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/4 cup PRANA organic raw European pumpkin seeds, divided
- 1/4 cup PRANA organic sultana raisins
- 4 tbsp virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses or maple syrup
- chill powder, to taste
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse the quinoa then soak it in a bowl of water while you prepare other ingredients.
- Chop up the onions, carrots and summer squash into similar-sized pieces. Spread the veggies on a large roasting tray so they aren't overcrowded and can cook evenly. Drizzle 2 tbsp of olive oil, and sprinkle with salt, pepper and chili powder. Mix well to coat the vegetables completely. Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, put the quinoa in a pot with water. For 1 cup of dry quinoa, add 2 cups of water. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit covered.
- Meanwhile, toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet until they become slightly aromatic. Set aside to cool.
- For the salad dressing, mix 2 tbsp of olive oil, the lemon juice, the pomegranate molasses, sea salt and pepper. Whisk to mix and set aside.
- Transfer the quinoa to a large mixing bowl to let cool slightly.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and let cool slightly before adding to the quinoa in the mixing bowl.
- Add the herbs, raisins and half of the pumpkin seeds, and mix.
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss delicately.
- Serve and sprinkle the remaining pumpkin seeds on top.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.