Mushroom and Miso Risotto
Make this creamy Italian classic from the comfort of your own home! This non-traditional version calls for nutritious miso instead of stock. The shiitake mushrooms give it a wonderful, delicate and unique flavour. Miso paste keeps well for a long time when refrigerated and makes a great base for quick meals such as soups!
- 2 heaping tbsp miso paste
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms
- PRANA unrefined Algarve sea salt
- PRANA organic fair trade whole black pepper, ground
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ¼ cup white wine
- ⅓ cup PRANA organic raw European almonds
- A few sprigs parsley
- Mix the miso and water in a medium casserole and heat up, making sure it does not boil.
- Chop the almonds coarsely and set aside.
- Finely slice the shallots, garlic and mushrooms.
- In a large non-stick pan, warm the vegetable oil. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook until golden. Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the rice to the pan, mix well and pour in the wine.
- While stirring, add the miso water one soup-ladle at a time until it has all been absorbed.
- In the meantime, dry roast the nuts in a pan for about 1 minute. Stir them into the risotto at the very end.
- Garnish each plate with freshly chopped parsley.