Roasted chickpea hummus with za'atar pita chips
How do you turn hummus, one of our favourite snacks, into a complete meal? Start with some roasted chickpeas, add some cherry tomatoes, crunchy toasted seeds, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with fresh herbs, and voila! Accompanied by homemade za'atar pita chips, this dish is a real crowd-pleaser. Whether it's as a hearty snack, a potluck contribution or a quick dinner, hummus is always a deliciously healthy option, and this method of serving of it is a winner!
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp Cajun spices
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 dozen cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup PRANA organic shelled sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup PRANA organic raw European pumpkin seeds
- 4 to 6 pitas
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 heaping tbsp za'atar spice mix
- 2 cups homemade hummus (or storebought)
- Pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a bowl, mix the chickpeas, Cajun spice, salt, pepper and vegetable oil.
- Spread the chickpea mixture onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Finely mince the red onion and cut the cherry tomatoes in 4.
- In a small frying pan, lightly roast the sunflower seeds and the pumpkin seeds for a few minutes. Set aside.
- Cut the pitas into 8 triangles, and toss them in a bowl with the olive oil and za'atar spice mix. Transfer the pita triangles to a baking sheet and bake them for 7 minutes, until they're nice and crispy.
- Put the hummus in the center of a plate and top with the roasted chickpeas. Sprinkle with the roasted seeds, onion, fresh parsley and cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Serve with the za'atar pita chips and enjoy!