Sweet Potato and Turmeric Buns
These homemade, sunny yellow buns are as tasty as they are easy to make. They make a fantastic burger bun and they also go well with our vegan sloppy joes and tempeh burgers! The addition of sweet potato purée adds a sweet touch and a fluffy texture. You could also sub in squash. They only keep for a few days, but seeing as they also freeze beautifully, make a double batch!
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tsp dry activated yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 to 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp organic fair trade ground turmeric
Note: The buns will keep for about 2 to 3 days in a tightly sealed container. They can also be frozen.Shop the products in this recipe
- Steam or boil, drain and purée the sweet potatoes. Place in fridge to cool.
- Meanwhile, mix the yeast, warm water and 1/2 cup of flour in a medium bowl. Cover with a warm, damp towel and set aside (preferably into the oven with the light on for a bit of heat), until the yeast activates - you'll see bubbles on the surface.
- Once the yeast mixture is activated, add the chilled sweet potato purée, maple syrup, salt, vegetable oil, baking powder, turmeric and 2 cups of flour. Mix gently with a spatula until well blended. Slowly mix in the remaining the flour (about 1/2 cup, or more if the mix is too wet). The dough should be smooth, a little sticky and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a warm, damp towel and set aside, preferably into the oven (with the light on for a bit of heat) for 1 hour, or until the dough doubles in volume.
- Transfer the dough to a clean and floured work surface. Separate into 10 equal pieces and roll into balls without expulsing too much air from the dough.
- Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, about 1 1/2" apart from one another.
- Using a pastry brush, cover each bun with a bit of oil.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven and let the buns rise again, for about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C) and bake buns for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.