Vegan Almond Chocolate Brownies
To kick the heaviest of chocolate cravings, we offer you this recipe inspired by Amy Chaplin's "At Home In The Whole Food Kitchen".
- 1/2 cup PRANA organic Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 3/4 cup PRANA organic raw cacao powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp PRANA organic blanched almond butter
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup PRANA organic coconut oil
- 1/2 cup PRANA organic fair trade cane sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup PRANA organic chocolate chunks, 70% cacao
- 1/2 cup PRANA organic raw European almonds
- pinch fleur de sel
- Soak the dates in a bowl of hot water for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 13" x 9" baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the spelt flour, cocoa and baking soda. Mix well and set aside.
- Put the dates, almond butter, applesauce, salt and vanilla extract in a food processor, and mix until a creamy consistency is achieved.
- Using a spatula, incorporate the liquids into the flour mixture. Add the chocolate chunks, saving 2 tbsp for garnish.
- Pour the brownie batter into the pan and level it out.
- Coarsely chop the almonds and sprinkle on top of the batter. Sprinkle with fleur de sel.
- Bake for 30 minutes, checking doneness using a toothpick (when it comes out clean, brownies are ready). Let cool completely. Store in fridge.