Vegan cheddar-style cheese
Making a vegan cheese and getting the texture right seems challenging, but this recipe proves that it's totally doable! Cashews are the perfect nuts to make a vegan cheese. Once they've been soaked and blended, they transform into a rich and creamy base that you can season to your taste. Mix with agar-agar (a vegan gelatin substitute) and before you know it, you've got a delicious, homemade vegan cheese! Add the dried herbs (basil, oregano, Herbes de Provence...) of your choice to make different flavours. Serve with some tasty flax and chia crackers, some homemade hummus or muhammara, and you've got yourself a great appetizer!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup nut milk
- 3 tbsp agar-agar
- 1 tsp olive or PRANA organic coconut oil
- 1 cup PRANA organic non-roasted cashews, soaked, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp miso paste (or 2 tsp sea salt to taste)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika or liquid smoke
- Grease a silicone pan or mould (we used mini molds to make individual blocks of cheese).
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water, nut milk and agar-agar to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring continuously, for 5 minutes.
- Add the cashews, nutritional yeast, miso, apple cider vinegar and smoked paprika to your blender. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add the agar-agar mixture and mix well.
- Pour in the prepared mould and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.