Vegan chocolate mousse with aquafaba and No MYLK'N Chocolaty Bark
A light and fluffy chocolate mousse that's 100% vegan? It's totally possible and totally easy! Have you heard of aquafaba? It's the soaking or cooking liquid from chickpeas, either from making them dried, or conserving the liquid from canned chickpeas. Once whipped, it transforms into a light and fluffy texture that makes a perfectly vegan substitute for any recipe that calls from whipped egg whites. How so? Well, an egg white is composed of 88% water and 10.6% protein - and so is aquafaba! To try it in this chocolate mousse is to fall in love with it. Even though it's made with aquafaba, the flavour, colour and texture are just the same as your typical chocolate mousse. Make it for friends and family and see if they notice any difference! This recipe is made even better with a delicious topping in the form of PRANA's new NO MYLK'N Chocolate Bark, which is full of crunchy hazelnuts and crispy puffed rice.
- 1 cup of aquafaba (liquid from soaking chickpeas/canned chickpeas)
- 3 teaspoons of PRANA organic fair trade cane sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of PRANA organic chocolate chunks, 70% cacao
- 1 tablespoon of PRANA organic hazelnut butter
- Pomegranate seeds or raspberries
- PRANA organic No Mylk'n Chocolate bark with hazelnuts & crispy rice
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chunks and hazelnut butter. Stir well and let sit at a warm temperature for several minutes.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the aquafaba with the cane sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Gently mix one third of the aquafaba with the melted chocolate, just until combined.
- Add another third of the aquafaba and mix gently to combine so that the mixture remains light and fluffy. Repeat with the final third.
- Pour the mousse into small bowls or verrines and let chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Top with pomegranate seeds and PRANA chocolate bark.