Vegan "goldfish" crackers
These cheesy and salty snack crackers are incredibly delicious. They get their cheesy flavour from nutritional yeast (so useful in recipes, it might as well be called "vegan gold"), and a sunny yellow colour from turmeric. If you've never used nutritional yeast before, it has a nutty taste great for adding flavour to sauces, salads, vegan cheeses and crackers. It is rich in B vitamins - specifically vitamin B12, which is particularly important in a vegan diet. It also is a good source of fibre and amino acids. No need to run out and buy a fish-shaped cookie cutter when you try this recipe - we created the shapes using the tip of a knife! Try it yourself for some unique and tasty results.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ground pepper, to taste
- 5 tbsp PRANA organic coconut oil
- 3 tbsp cold water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, nutritional yeast, onion powder, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Add the coconut oil and mix well. Add the water and mix again.
- Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough.
- Use the tip of a knife or a cookie cutter to make a fish shape (or the shape of your choice).
- Transfer crackers to the prepared baking sheet and place in preheated oven to bake for 12 to 15 minutes (depending on the size of your crackers).
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Store in a plastic bag or a tightly sealed container.