Vegan mini frittata with veggies
Did you know you can make a vegan frittata by skipping the eggs and using a chickpea flour base? Chickpea flour is an excellent source of protein and is packed with fibre. Known for its light and slightly sweet flavor, chickpea flour is used in both sweet and savoury gluten-free recipes. For this frittata recipe, use whatever vegetables you have on hand, but definitely think about adding zucchini, as it gives it a great, soft texture!
- 1 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 200 g silken tofu
- 2 cups nut milk of your choice (or rice milk, soy milk, etc.)
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, finely sliced
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup PRANA organic raw walnuts
- a few sprigs of fresh herbs (parsley, basil, chives...), chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C) and grease a muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mix the chickpea flour with the nutritional yeast, salt and turmeric.
- Drain the silken tofu and add it to the bowl along with the nut milk. Mix well using a whisk or a wooden spoon until smooth. If it's too thick, add a tsp of water at a time to thin it out.
- In a frying pan, heat up a drizzle of olive oil. Add the garlic, broccoli and mushroom, and sauté for a few minutes until tender.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and walnuts to the pan, and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the herbs and mix well.
- Spoon 1 to 2 spoonfuls of the vegetable mixture into the bottom of each section of the muffin tin. Cover with the chickpea flour mix.
- Put in preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Insert a sharp knife in the center of one of the frittatas to check for doneness (it is done when knife comes out clean).
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from the muffin tin.