Vegan Quinoa Sushi
Vegan Quinoa Sushi
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Servings: 5 sushi rolls
Swap out white rice for quinoa in this perfect recipe for homemade vegan sushi. All you really need is a bamboo sushi mat, nori seaweed sheets and rice vinegar. The rest? It's up to you! We've chosen a mixture of fresh veggies and fruit to fill these rolls, where the cucumber and onion add some crunch, the avocado gives a creamy texture and the fresh mango provides some tasty acidity. Don't be discouraged if your first roll doesn't turn out perfect, it does take some practice - but once you've got the technique down, you'll be making this recipe with ease!
- 1 cup PRANA organic white quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp PRANA organic fair trade cane sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 5 nori sheets
- 1 sliced avocado
- ½ cucumber, julienned
- 1 ripe mango, sliced
- Green onions, minced
- Rinse quinoa in cold water.
- Drain quinoa, transfer to a saucepan and add water. Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat and simmer 20 minutes, making sure to check on it halfway through. Remove from heat and let sit 15 minutes.
- Mix together rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a bowl, then add to quinoa and mix well. Place in fridge and let cool thoroughly.
- Wrap a sushi mat in plastic wrap so the sushi doesn't stick to mat.
- Place a nori sheet on mat.
- Fill a small bowl with cold water to dip your fingers so quinoa won't stick.
- Using your hands, take a small quantity of cold quinoa and spread across the entire nori sheet. It doesn't need to be too thick, just make sure it covers the whole sheet except a band of 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) at the top to glue the roll together.
- Place avocado and mango slices horizontally in the centre of nori sheet. Add green onions and cucumber.
- Gently roll sheet using sushi mat to form a roll, making sure it's nice and tight.
- Wet empty band at the top with some water and stick roll shut. Set aside in refrigerator while you continue making the other rolls. Once all rolls are done, slice equally into sushi using a sharp knife and enjoy!