Vegan red lentils and TVP spread
This vegan spread is perfect with crackers, in sandwiches or even as a dip on a cheese board. Make it as a snack or for special occasions.
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- a small onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cup of organic textured vegetable protein
- ¾ cup of organic red lentils
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons of cretons spice
- a teaspoon of salt
- freshly ground pepper
- a cup of quick oats
- ½ cup of organic nutritional yeast
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet.
- Brown the onions for 2-3 minutes then add the textured vegetable protein, red lentils, vegetable broth, spices, salt and pepper. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the quick oats and continue cooking uncovered for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. At this point all the liquid should be absorbed.
- Add nutritional yeast and mix well. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Place the mixture in small individual jars and let cool completely in the refrigerator. Serve with mustard and small pickles.
The Vegan spread will keep for a week in the refrigerator and can be conserved frozen for several months.