Vegan shepherd's pie with TVP and sweet potato
A classic meal made vegan! Whip up this shepherd’s pie in less than an hour, using protein-rich ingredients like red lentils and textured vegetable protein. Look no further for a comfort meal packed with flavour.
- one chopped onion
- a chopped garlic clove
- one very finely chopped carrot
- ¼ teaspoon of thyme
- 1 ¼ cup of organic textured vegetable protein
- 1 ½ cup of vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 284 ml can of cream of corn
- 199 ml can of whole kernel corn
- 2 medium potatoes
- one big sweet potato
- ¾ cup of Vegan milk
- 2 tablespoons of Vegan butter
- ½ cup of panko breadcrumbs, if desired
- Cook the potatoes and sweet potato by steaming, boiling or in the oven until tender. Puree and add Vegan milk and butter to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick pan, heat a drizzle of vegetable oil and brown the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add the finely chopped carrot and thyme. Continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the textured vegetable protein and vegetable broth. Once the broth is absorbed, mix well and add the paprika. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spread the mixture in the bottom of a baking dish. Add a layer of cream of corn cream and whole kernel corn. Finish with a layer of mashed sweet potato.
- Sprinkle with panko breadcrumbs and bake for 30 minutes. Finish cooking under the broiler for a few minutes.