Zucchini latkes with herbs & spices
Here's an excellent lunch idea to break up the monotony of sandwiches and salads: homemade zucchini latkes with spices and fresh herbs. This recipe is vegan - the eggs have been substituted by a gel made from ground flax seed or chia seeds. Mix the ground seeds with a bit of water and let it sit for the magic to occur. Try these served with a cool and fresh avocado sauce or a creamy, spicy cashew sauce.
- 1 tbsp ground PRANA organic golden flax seeds or PRANA organic ground chia seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 zucchini, grated (about 2 cups packed)
- 1/2 onion, finely minced
- 2 to 3 tbsp fresh herbs, minced (parsley, basil, dill, cilantro...)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- ground pepper
- 1/2 cup flour of your choice
- Prepare a flax or chia gel by mixing the ground seeds with the water. Let sit until it forms a thick gel.
- Drain the grated zucchini by pressing it in a clean tea towel or with your hands over a bowl or the sink.
- Put all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and combine.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Form small balls of zucchini mix and flatten them with your palms.
- Drop them into the hot oil and fry for 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the pan and drain the excess oil by placing them on a plate lined with paper towels.