Green lentil and bean soup with kale
There's nothing quite as comforting as this soup on a cold winter day. With it's flavourful mix of green lentils, black-eyed peas, and kale, it's easy to prepare, delicious, and rich in protein. For an extra crunchy addition, coarsely chop some SAMADHI tamari almonds and sprinkle on top!
- 1 cup canned black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, cut into half-circles
- 1 tsp organic ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Sea salt and ground pepper
- 5 stalks kale, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup PRANA Samadhi wheat-free tamari almonds
- Put the beans, green lentils and vegetable broth into a large pot. Simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and brown the onion for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots and cumin and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes more.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the peas and kale to the large pot and let simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Add a little water if the soup is too thick. Add kale to the soup 10 minutes before serving.