Lentil, Quinoa and Sunflower Seed Paté
Put this dish on your table and watch your guests devour it. It's delicious, filling and can be eaten so many ways. Serve it at a get together alongside a green salad, and enjoy the leftovers in a sandwich the following day!
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp PRANA organic ground chia seeds
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup panko or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place the lentils in a pot with 1/2 cup of water. Salt, and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes. The lentils should be well cooked.
- Place the quinoa in a pot with 1 cup of water. Salt, and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for about 12 minutes.
- Once cooked, place the quinoa and lentils in a large bowl and mix.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. In a pan, heat vegetable oil and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until golden and add the carrots, sunflower seeds, chili and cumin. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetables to the bowl with the quinoa and lentils. Add the chia, and mash the ingredients together using a potato masher.
- Add the soy sauce, tahini and nutritional yeast. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, spices and soy sauce. Add the panko and mix until uniform. If the texture is too thick, add water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency. If it is too liquid, add more panko.
- In a parchment paper lined bread mould (ideally, but any deep mould will do), pour the mixture in.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes.