Spaghetti and Mushroom-Balls
One of the most tried & true comfort meals made vegan with a little help from mushrooms! You can mix and match this recipe with spaghetti, rice or your choice of greens! Make the mushroom balls in advance so when it comes time to eat, all you have to do is cook them!
- 6 cups of button or cremini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 of 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup panko or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp PRANA organic ground black chia seeds
- Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 12oz spaghetti
- Chop the mushrooms. In a pot, heat the olive oil then add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Let cook without stirring until they become golden and the water is completely evaporated. Chop the onion, grate the garlic and add them to the mushrooms. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Chop the parsely.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a large bowl and add the oatmeal, panko, sunflower seeds, chia, salt, pepper and oregano. Mix well. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Form balls using about 2 tablespoons of the mushroom mixture. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, space the balls evenly and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until nice and golden.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, bring the tomato sauce to a boil, reduce, then add the mushroom balls. Cook a medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions and serve with the mushroom balls and sauce.