Stuffed acorn squash
It's the season for comfort food - and what better way to satisfy that craving than with a hearty stuffed acorn squash? This dish is packed full of earthy, crunchy roasted walnuts, pecans and finished with fragrant rice and buttery romano beans.
- 2 acorn squash, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 398 mL can of Romano beans, strained and drained
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 3/4 cup cremini mushrooms, pulsed in a food processor for 5-10 seconds
- 1/2 cup PRANA organic raw walnuts, pulsed in food processor for 10 seconds
- 1/2 cup PRANA organic raw pecans, pulsed in food processor for 10 seconds
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan
- more walnuts + pecans to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Halve the acorn squash length-wise, from the stem down and coat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until tender. To speed up the cooking process you may want to poke holes in your squash.
- While the squash cooks, prepare the filling by cooking down some onions and garlic in some olive oil in a pan on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Add the soy sauce and nutritional yeast to the onion mixture and stir untill well combined.
- Add the beans, rice, mushrooms, walnuts and pecans and cook down for 7- 10 minutes more.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the parsley and vegan parmesan. Stir and set aside.
- Once the squash is ready, remove carefully from the oven and de-seed with a fork or spoon. Stuff your squash with the mixture and bake for 5 minutes or just until everything is hot throughout.
- Serve with more parsley, cheese, pecans and walnuts as garnish!