Vegan Beet Burger
Vegan Beet Burger
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
For any beet fan out there, this is the recipe for you. This vegan burger recipe not only benefits from the rich and magnificent colour of beets, but is low in fat and rich in veggie proteins - a great veggie burger to make in the winter time. This recipe can easily be made in advance and stored in the fridge for those busy days when you need to make something hearty in a pinch. Dress the burger any way you like and let us know in the comments your favourite combinations!
- 2 small beets
- 2 small carrots
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup instant oatmeal
- 1/4 cup golden flax seeds, ground
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 burger buns
- Greens of your choice
- Sliced tomatoes
- Dijon mustard
- Peel the beets and carrots (we suggest while wearing gloves), then finely grate them. Finely chop the onion and garlic. Using your hands, squeeze out the water from the grated vegetables.
- In a large bowl, mix the beets, carrots, onion, garlic, oatmeal, flax seeds and water. Let sit for 15 minutes while the oatmeal sets.
- In the meantime, use a potato masher to mash the chickpeas into a puree, making sure to leave a bit of texture. Begin preparing your toppings.
- Add the mashed chickpeas to the carrot and beets along with the spices. Mix well so the spices are evenly distributed.
- Form 6 uniform patties, making sure they are tightly packed and about 2 cm thick.
- In a nonstick pan, heat a little vegetable oil and brown each patty for 3-4 minutes on each side. Make sure to cook them enough so that they don't fall apart when flipping. If necessary, reshape the edges using a spatula.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Place the patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes.
- Slice the buns in half and heat for a few minutes in the over.
- Spread the toppings of your choice on the bun and add on your favourite toppings (lettuce, tomatoes, pickles..)
- Add the beet patty, and enjoy!