Vegan pulled pork sandwhich with avocado and spicy coconut chips
Promise not to think we're crazy? The base of this vegan "pulled pork" sandwich is... a fruit! Jackfruit is a type of fruit that grows mostly in India and Bangladesh, and can be found in many Asian grocery stores. Just look in the canned fruits and veggies aisle, and choose a type that comes in water or brine, not syrup. After that, all you need to do is simmer it for about 25 minutes in a homemade BBQ sauce, shred with a fork, and it's ready! The pulled jackfruit in this recipe makes a great sandwich or taco filling. Try it in a burger bun with sliced avocado and some crunchy JIVE spicy coconut chips, and you'll be instantly hooked on this amazing, versatile fruit.
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 x 540-g (19-oz) cans of jackfruit in water or brine (not in syrup)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ⅛ cup hoisin sauce (Asian BBQ sauce)
- 4 burger buns
- 1 to 2 avocados
- 2 cups of leafy greens (lettuce, mesclun, spinach, etc.)
- PRANA Jive spicy chili coconut chips
- Mix spices together. In a large pot, heat oil and brown onion and garlic until translucent. Add half the spices and heat them for 1 minute.
- Rinse and drain canned jackfruit, remove seeds, and pour into a large bowl with remaining spices. Mix well.
- Pour jackfruit in the pot, stir and cook 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Add tomato paste, vinegar, broth and hoisin sauce. Cover and let simmer 25 minutes.
- Shread jackfruit with a fork. Serve on burger buns or in taco shells, topped with avocado, greens and coconut chips.