Wild mushroom & cashew vegan pot pie
If you love a cozy pot pie that will keep you warm all season, this vegan wild mushroom & cashew pot pie made with red wine will be on your rotation all winter long. The cashews add the perfect amount of crunch and creaminess.
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 6 cups sliced assorted wild mushrooms (cremini, shiitake & enoki)
- 1 cup PRANA organic Extaze sea salted cashews, roughly chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup quality dry red wine
- 1/2 cup cashew milk or cream, plus more for brushing
- 1 cup mushroom stock
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 sheets vegan puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallots, celery, thyme & rosemary. Cook until the shallots begin to turn translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the wild mushrooms & season with salt + pepper. Cook until the mushrooms soften, about 10 minutes.
- Fold in the cashews, followed by the Dijon & red wine. Cook, constantly stirring, until the red wine reduces to half.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, stock & flour.
- Add mixture to the skillet & cook until sauce thickens. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat & divide filling evenly amongst 4-6 ramekins. Set ramekins aside while you roll out the puff pastry.
- Roll out puff pastry to a 1/4 inch thick. Cut out appropriate shape to top each ramekin. Brush with additional milk if desired & sprinkle with salt. Transfer ramekins to baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the filling is bubbly & the puff pastry is golden brown. Serve immediately!